tax lawyers

I Disagree With the IRS Valuation of My Ability to Pay. What Should I Do?

Dealing with tax debt can be frustrating and overwhelming. Especially if you’ve already submitted a repayment plan or offer in compromise that was rejected by the IRS. If the IRS denies your offer in compromise, there are a few things you can do to help you get it approved. Our Los Angeles tax attorneys explain what you can do if you disagree with your repayment plan’s IRS valuation.

Appeal Your Rejected Offer in Compromise

If your offer in compromise was rejected, you can provide the IRS with additional verification or documentation to support a different valuation. You can also request a meeting or phone call with the offer manager to discuss the areas of disagreement. However, if that doesn’t help your case, you have 30 days from the date you received the offer in compromise rejection letter to request an appeal of the decision.

You can request an appeal by preparing a Form 13711, Request for Appeal of Offer in Compromise (PDF). Or you can file a separate letter with the following information:

  • Name, address, tax identification number, and telephone number
  • A statement that you want to appeal the IRS rejection to the IRS Independent Office of Appeals
  • A copy of your rejected offer letter
  • Tax periods or years involved
  • A list of the specific items you don't agree with and a statement of why for each
  • Any additional information you want the IRS to consider
  • Facts or documents supporting your position on any issue that you do not agree with
  • Your signature on the written protest, stating that under penalties of perjury, it is true, correct and complete

If your business wants to appeal an offer in compromise rejection, you will need to submit various forms and information. It’s best to have an experienced tax attorney on your side to ensure that the forms are completed accurately and that you are presenting the facts needed to obtain a successful outcome.

If you need legal guidance with your offer in compromise appeal, our team at The Blue Law Group is here to assist you. Contact our Los Angeles tax attorneys today at (909) 766-9996 to schedule a consultation!