The Blue Law Group Attorneys
DEDICATED. COMMITTED. AGGRESSIVE.
Mr. Barton’s love for the law and justice is unparalleled. His profound passion stems from his own near-fatal personal injury and subsequent legal battle. While exiting for a skydive, the aircraft’s tail struck Mr. Barton, causing significant injuries. During his trial and appeal, he significantly assisted his attorneys and thereafter they strongly encouraged him to attend law school.
Mr. Barton received his B.A. from the University of California, Irvine in 2007 and in 2015 graduated magna cum laude from California Western School of Law. He graduated fifth out of a class of two-hundred and fifteen, receiving the highest grade in ten classes. While attending law school, Mr. Barton served as both an associate writer and associate editor of the California Western Law Review, successfully competed in numerous moot court and mock trial competitions, and was elected to represent his school before the San Diego County Bar Association. Mr. Barton also completed four prestigious judicial externships, working first with the California Court of Appeal and subsequently with United States District Court for the Southern District of California.
Mr. Barton’s civil practice has included representing clients involved in wrongful termination, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, defamation, abuse of process, Anti-SLAPP, and intentional infliction of emotional distress actions. Mr. Barton has further represented clients before the Division of Workers Compensation, in matters related to the denial of benefits, the procurement of proper medical treatment, and the collection of liens.
Mr. Barton is also a former licensed EMT & Wilderness-EMT, FCC certified radio disc jockey, and skydiver with 191 jumps from various aircraft.
Education & Honors
- California Western School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2015; 2014 Faculty Award; 2014 Student Award for Diversity Leadership; 2013 Professor Irwin D. Miller Inspiration & Achievement Award; 2013 Academic Excellence Award; California Western Law Review – Associate Writer & Editor; Moot Court Honors Board – Chief Sophister
- University of California, Irvine, B.A. in Social Sciences, 2007
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District for the Southern District of California
- Judicial Extern, Magistrate Judge Jan Adler, September 2014-December 2014
- Judicial Extern, Magistrate Judge Ruben B. Brooks, May 2014-August 2014
- Judicial Extern, District Judge Michael M. Anello, January 2014-April 2014
- Judicial Extern, Associate Justice Alex C. McDonald, January 2013-May 2013
- Private California Bar Tutor, November 2015-Present
- Adjunct Professor, California Western School of Law, “Advanced Legal Analysis”, September 2015-October 2015
- Guest Lecturer, California Western School of Law, “An Actual Case of Primary, Secondary, & Express Assumption of Risk”, August 10, 2015, March 30, 2015, & August 4 2014
- Private Tutor, California Western School of Law, June 2012-December 2014
- Small Group Tutor, California Western School of Law, September 2013-November 2014
- Honors Student Instructor, California Western School of Law, Torts I, January 2014-August 2014
- Honors Student Instructor, California Western School of Law, Civil Procedure I & II, January 2013-August 2013
- Guest Lecturer, California Western School of Law, “Civil Procedure I Review/Successful Test Strategies”, April 3, 2013
- Honors Student Instructor, California Western School of Law, Summer Enrichment, June 2012-August 2012
- “Flying Without Care: Is California’s Doctrine of Primary Assumption Of Risk Applicable to Participants in General Aviation” (work in progress).
- “Student Life: Law Students For Disability Rights”, The Commentary, CWSL, newspaper, September 2014, at 4.
- “How a Skydiving Incident Propelled Me into Law School”, Law Student Spotlight, ABA Commissions on Disability Rights, website, December 2012.
- “Behind the Scenes at the Court of Appeal”, Bar Report, San Diego County Bar Association, journal, October 2012, at 8.
- “Law School Beat”, Bar Report, San Diego County Bar Association, journal, October 2011, at 14.
Additional Lectures & Presentations
- “Moments Along the Journey”, CWSL Winter Commencement, Student Speaker, December 16, 2014.
- “Strengths & Weaknesses of CWSL”, 2014 CWSL Council of Visitors, (one of two students selected to speak to CWSL’s distinguished Council of Visitors, which included former Judge Advocate General of the Navy Admiral Bruce MacDonald, the Honorable Karen S. Crawford, & Justice Lawrence F. Winthrop), CWSL, May 23, 2014.
- “Purpose & Goals of the Law Students for Disability Rights Student Organization”, 7th Annual Spring Diversity Mixer, CWSL, March 18, 2014.
- “Securing A Judicial Externship”, Career & Professional Development Office’s Judicial Externship & Clerkship Seminar, CWSL, February 11, 2014.
- “Forensic Phenotyping”, Forensic Evidence, CWSL, August 7, 2013.
- “Computer Animated Incident Recreation – Reality & Illusion”, Evidence Advocacy, CWSL, February 13, 2013.
- “Preparing a Winning Opening Statement/Closing Argument for Competition”, 1L Competition Info Session, CWSL, January 22, 2013.